[MOBY-l] ontology

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Wed Jun 2 10:16:40 UTC 2004

>>>>> "A.Garcia" ==   <a.garcia at imb.uq.edu.au> writes:

  A.Garcia> Ideally the users should be able to define an analysis,
  A.Garcia> independently of whether this is a single step or a
  A.Garcia> workflow;

Well, I would agree with this. But at the current time, biomoby
doesn't have explicit support for workflows, so you'd just have to
register them as a service; the fact they are workflows would be
implementation.

  A.Garcia> This ontology should be about analytical methods so is it
  A.Garcia> necessary to include databases? Perhaps those are two
  A.Garcia> different domains. Analytical methods are one thing and
  A.Garcia> databases are another different thing, aren't they?

It depends on what you want to do. I think you have to talk about
databases to be useful. So, for example, I can provide ten web services
offering a BLAST search; which database they search over is clearly a
critical issue for their discover. Now, in some cases, the analysis
tool and the database are linked; interproscan works over interpro and
nothing else. So there it doesn't matter.

Cheers

Phil