[MOBY-l] ontology

a.garcia at imb.uq.edu.au a.garcia at imb.uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 2 07:46:54 UTC 2004

   About Mark's email regarding an ontology for analytical
methods in bioinformatics. I am here presenting some
comments, hope they are useful.

An ontology for analytical methods in bioinformatics
    should ideally allow the discovery of web services
from
    the conceptual domain and not from the operational
domain;
    the same being true for those cases where users wish
    define workflows. Ideally the users should be able to
    define an analysis, independently of whether this is a
    single step or a workflow; a simple example would be
    clustal/puzzle clustal/ednadist/ Eneigbor// Econsense
    clustal/< > .These are three different cases of
    estimating and realizing phylogenies by executing the
    three main phylogenetic methods: distance, parsimony
and
    maximum likelihood. They may be semantically
equivalent,
    but are syntactically different. Some of the reasons
for
    having an ontology are explained at
    http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101.pdf

    The role of the ontology should be to effectively
identify
    these kinds of scenarios. Bioinformatic analytical
methods
    should be classified according to their conceptual
value.
    Classes (concepts) are a part of the ontology,
properties
    for each concept describing various features and
    attributes of the concepts (slots, sometimes called
roles
    or properties). A good example is given in the Protege
    manual. In my view concepts are terms such as
alignment,
    from the properties (slots) the ontology should enable
an
    identification or at least provide guidance regarding
    which alignment method to use depending on the case
    (input).

    Perhaps I misunderstand the structure presented in the
    email, but following that structure may lead to an
    ambiguous final result. Is it necessary to include
    concepts such as: protein database (is-a)      +
databases connecting other databases (is-a)? This ontology
should be about analytical methods so is it necessary to
include databases? Perhaps those are two different
domains. Analytical methods are one thing and databases
are another different thing, aren't they? This structure
slightly resembles the taxonomy of analytical methods over
which EMBOSS relies. But a taxonomy is not an ontology.

    Analytical methods are always implementations aren't
they?
    I mean if they are not implemented then they are not
    available as web services. Perhaps the case of
multiple
    implementations like BLAST (described by the author of
the
    email) may be resolved by using the concept of the
    implementation as the class, for those cases where the
    same implementation has several concepts slots should
be
    able to resolve the ambiguity.

    I am/was working on an ontology for analytical
methods,
    I am working with Protegue, and basically I am using
    bio-catalog as a starting point. The key issue here is
    that biomoby requires an ontology for web services,
which
    is different from an ontology for analytical methods
(I
    guess). Well these were just some comments I hope you
find
    them useful.