[MOBY-l] "up"grade of Apache/mod-perl on mobycentral

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Jan 2 15:51:32 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Over the new year's holiday I "up"graded the webserver on mobycentral to
an older version of Apache/mod-perl.  The reason was that the
Apache2/mod-perl2 installation was breaking so frequently that I had it
on an hourly cron to restart it!  This isn't surprising since Apache2 is
still not "production quality", however after weeks of trying to compile
Apache/mod-perl on that SUN machine I had to give up and install Apache2
(which surprisingly installed completely effortlessly!).

I finally built up the patience to try again, and after searching the
net extensively for assistance I found a message from a SUN
administrator indicating that the problem is with the "strip" program.
Renaming that executable at least allowed the server to start up, but
there may still be other problems (make test still fails on many tests).

I've been running it through its paces for the past couple of days and I
haven't noticed any obvious problems.  I haven't had to restart it, and
it actually seems to run faster than before, so... things look good!

Please let me know ASAP if you notice any 'flakyness'.  I'm just giving
everyone a heads-up that if you notice anything strange you should
possibly consider the server as a potential source of problems before
you go banging your heads looking for bugs in your code.

Cheers!

Mark

--
Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>