[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-l] Name Space

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 12 07:11:19 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004, at 20:39 Canada/Eastern, Martin Senger
wrote:

Point taken- but:

To my understanding, the LSID memo does not talk about the resolution
*mechanism* at all - in the sense of specifying *how* a conforming
query would need to be structured to be understood by the resolver.

So in practice the client will need to figure this out anyway. Since no
mechanism is defined you can't use it in practice to resolve anything
since you don't know how to structure a query. Human clients will go to
the website, use the namespace to access the proper service and paste
the acc to retrieve the data. Silicon clients will ... format it as a
Moby query and send it to Moby  to have Moby resolve it for them? I
guess thats the whole point here. The only thing that needs to be
avoided is that the client is tricked into believing this is a real
LSID, when it isn't. "urn:lsid" could either be optional (if present,
assume there is a resolver, but you may want to use Moby anyway). Or
one could use urn:biomoby_id:... to specify that Moby is the resolver
but the namespace semantics are defined elsewhere. I guess it is not a
Good Thing to use the same string to define both namespace and
resolution protocol.

Bottom line: I suggest that Moby use LSIDs when available, create LSIDs
only for objects that are truly Moby objects, require that all
namespace be prefixed with an authority that defines that namespace's
semantics and not define LSIDs for objects not under its semantic
authority.

My concern would be that there might be a profusion of incompatible
namespaces otherwise. After all, how would a client know that
biomoby.org:pubmed has the same semantics as ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:pubmed .
That strikes me as the larger Problem.

Not ?

Boris

> Just my 2c:
>    The authority field is not important only as a way how to identify
> things world-wide uniquely (if it was only for that, all your arguments
> are completely valid) - but it *may* (the LSID spec does not mandate
> that
> but suggests it) be used also for finding an appropriate resolution
> service that can return data identified by this LSID. Therefore, if you
> put there pubmed.org, it may never find biomoby.org where it can be
> resolve.
>    I think the solution may be (Sean, are you listening here? Am I
> right?)
> to have *both* in the authority - biomoby.org *and* pubmed.org - so the
> resolution software will find first biomoby.org and it knows that the
> rest
> of the authority can be ignored.
>
>    Regards,
>    Martin
>
> --
> Martin Senger
>
> EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
> European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
> Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
> Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
> Cambridge CB10 1SD
> United Kingdom
> http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger

Best regards,

Boris

---
Boris Steipe
University of Toronto
Program in Proteomics & Bioinformatics
Departments of Biochemistry & Molecular and Medical Genetics
http://biochemistry.utoronto.ca/steipe/

Best regards,

Boris

---