[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-l] Name Space

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 01:39:12 UTC 2004

Just my 2c:
   The authority field is not important only as a way how to identify
things world-wide uniquely (if it was only for that, all your arguments
are completely valid) - but it *may* (the LSID spec does not mandate that
but suggests it) be used also for finding an appropriate resolution
service that can return data identified by this LSID. Therefore, if you
put there pubmed.org, it may never find biomoby.org where it can be
resolve.
   I think the solution may be (Sean, are you listening here? Am I right?)
to have *both* in the authority - biomoby.org *and* pubmed.org - so the
resolution software will find first biomoby.org and it knows that the rest
of the authority can be ignored.

   Regards,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger