[MOBY] [MOBY-l] Core information about biological objects...

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sat Sep 20 16:42:04 EDT 2003

Hi Simon,

I'm just taking a quick stab at an answer to this - off the top of my
head thoughts:

The situation you are describing is very similar to the issue that
Rebecca raised on the list a couple of months ago w.r.t. Arabidopsis
loci (Rebecca: "*our* loci have this this and this special property
associated with them";  Mark: "no, Arabidopsis loci are not more
specialized than Fly loci, so we should design the object to be as
generic as possible and put these special properties in the Xref block")

In my mind, gene symbols are ID's in the same way that gi numbers are
ID's.  They are unique (or supposed to be) within the namespace of a
particular organism.  As such, I think the lightest object you would
have would be something like:

<Object namespace='RGD' id='Abc1'/>

I think we need to build a URL object - it would somehow inherit from
String, but we might need a little more granularity in there somewhere.
I am loathe, however, to embed a URL in a Locus, Strain, or any other
object that is supposed to represent a biological "thing", since
biological "things" don't have URL's :-)  Moreover, not everyone will
have a URL to associate with a Strain Object, so it becomes a barrier to
other people's use as soon as we put things in the object that are not
"generic" to all organisms.  I'd prefer to have a separate service that
accepts Objects in the RGD namespace and returns the associated URL
objects, or somehow put this URL info into the Cross-Rerence block
rather than building it into the biological data object itself.

Those are my initial thoughts on the subject, but I think we should
discuss it more deeply and document our thoughts on-list since this is
likely going to be a common question for people building new data
Classes...

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae