[MOBY] [MOBY-l] moby objects

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Jul 3 14:52:25 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 08:41, Rebecca Ernst wrote:

> Is that okay for you or is there a problem with that ?

I think we should register, as in the original MOBY, a lighter sequence
object called VirtualSequence that has only Int(Length), and then the
Sequence object inherits from that (ISA) and adds a
String(SequenceString).  This was quite useful for some of the services
that I had originally set up that returned potentially thousands of
sequences of several megabases... it was much more practical to retrieve
the VirtualSequence first, screen it by eye, and then retrieve only the
ones that you really wanted.

> MOBY::Client::Central -> Relationships(objectType => "GO_Term")
>
> but the returning hash has no elements....
> the same with "String".

this is a bug... but I'm confused why it suddenly stopped working
because I haven't changed that routine lately.  I'll look at the server
logs and see what's happening there.

> Do you know what the Object structure of String looks like or how I can
> find it out correctly?

it inherits directly from Object and adds nothing to it

<String namespace='' id='' attributeName=''>String gets inserted
here</String>

(cross-reference and provision blocks omitted in this example, but valid
in the object, as usual)