[MOBY-l] marathon comes to an end

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Jan 28 22:32:13 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Meine Goette! A three-day/night coding and debugging marathon comes to
an end!  I'm pumping-up for the Hackathon!!  ;-)

For anyone not on the -guts list, I just committed a very significant
update to MOBY::Central as well as the client side wrapper and client
scripts that talk to it.  Hopefully the Java world will find this
version easier to code against :-)  Please let me know if this is not
the case.

The *functionality* of the interface has not changed significantly, just
the way it talks to the world.  I also fixed some of the SQL logic that
I discovered was faulty.

I am going to start implementing this on the prototype CGI client at CBR
over the next day or so.  Hopefully it will only be an hour or so
downtime, but you know how things things go more often than not... So if
everything is broken over the next day or two don't be too surprised -
it isn't your fault.

have a look at the latest documentation via perldoc, as the
documentation on the website isn't yet updated.  For Perl users, the
biggest change is that **all** interaction with MOBY::Central is now
done through the MOBY::Client::Central module; all MOBY::Central methods
are now included in this module, and it uses a more sensible
named-argument calling structure.  You can still talk to Central
directly, but from now on I will assume that nobody does, and I will not
give any "heads up" when the Central API changes unless the
Client::Central wrapper also changes.

To be a bit forward-looking, there is a level of resolution in the
registration calls that is not actually reflected in the database -
namely the association between objects and their namespaces.  One day I
will update the database tables to include this information, but it
isn't critical right now.  just follow the instructions and understand
that the details of what you register will be discarded at the Registry
end for the time being.

Cheers all!

                                    |--==\
Mark Wilkinson                       \==-|
Bioinformatics Consultant             \=/        0010010010100101110010
Illuminae Media                       /-\
727 6th Ave. N.                      /-==|       0010100100111101010010
Saskatoon, SK, Canada               |==-/
S7K 2S8                              \=/         0100100100010010010101
+1 (306) 373 3841                     /\
markw at illuminae.com                  /=-\        1101001010100101010101
                                    |--==\