[MOBY-l] SOAP::Lite under perl 5.8

mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Thu Aug 29 13:40:03 UTC 2002

Hi all,

a little bit off topic, but relevant to any of you using MOBY with perl.

There is apparently a bug in perl 5.8.0  (UNIVERSAL::AUTOLOAD is the
culprit, so I'm told) that prevents the "autodispatch" feature of
SOAP::Lite from functioning correctly.  It is still possible to use
SOAP::Lite, but the coding becomes a bit more awkward.  I just
discovered this while trying to set up MOBY Central on a new machine at
CBR.

This problem is only partially solved for MOBY Central. The
MOBY::Client::Central  "wrapper" module that I wrote last week
circumvents this problem w.r.t. the initial connection,  but making any
additional calls (i.e. doing anything useful) will still be impossible.

I'm working on a solution...

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae.com