[MOBY-dev] Changing only the description of an ontolgy entry

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Mon Jan 26 08:25:07 UTC 2009

I agree here with Martin ... i dont want to change anything which will
change the LSID and therefore which might change any dependencies - in
my case its ONLY the description.

Still I dont see how this method should be easily written... Because if
I do the whole procedure in the background I still need to unregister
the datatype, meaning unregister all services which uses this datatype -
and how to do that ? If the services provide a rdf, I would need to
delete that rdf to unregister the services successfully - and this I
cant do for all services.

So if there isnt any other way - I dont see a possibility to have such
all-in-once method ?!

Andreas

Martin Senger wrote:
>> So is there a way to change the description of an entity without going the
>> long, stony way ?
>>

> No, there is no such way in the BioMOBY API. I agree with you that it is
> paintful as it is now. The only thing we (you :-) ) can do is to write a
> Java method that does the whole long procedure for you, hidden from the
> end-users. But the quetsion is how safe such procedure can be (because
> during its run, the repository state is changed).
>
> Martin

  Dipl. Bioinf. Andreas Groscurth
  Software developer
  Plant Computational Biology group
  Max-Planck Institute for plant breeding research
  Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
  50829 Cologne
  Germany
  +49(0) 221 5062449