[MOBY-dev] ant install crashes... does moby have bots?

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:23:21 UTC 2008

> In my point of view you are absolutely right... the test central should be
> used for everything which is non productional.

In theory, it is right. But from my experiences, the duplication of moby
registries has been pain in the neck. Because moby does not have (yet?) a
proper and well defined notion of registry mirroring or registry federation,
registering the same entities twice in two (or more) different registries
may cause problems. I am talking from the experience of the Canadian and
IRRI registry. In our project, we are using quite a huge set of data types
and they can cause incompabilites if they are not mirrored exactly. And
doing so is not easy for a big project. Bottom line is that the same entity
(such as a data type) should have the same LSID in both registries. But it
does not - because these registries do not know about each other.

>From this reasons, I still prefer to allow having services registered with
the localhost in the main registry. This way I do not step on my own toes if
I need to have different versions of the same entity in the main and in the
testing (or IRRI, in my case) registry.

email: martin.senger at gmail.com,m.senger at cgiar.org