[MOBY-dev] JAX-WS BioMoby API (2nd round).

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Jan 16 16:00:31 UTC 2008

>> My vision is that all Moby Datatypes must have a schema representation.
> As far as I can recall, this is not possible

You are correct, Paul.  It is not possible to define the structure of MOBY
Objects in XML schema (for some of the same reasons that it is impossible
to define RDF-XML documents in XML Schema)

There's a belief "out there" that all XML documents can be represented in
XML schema, and I've been attacked by audience members during
presentations and workshops when I say this isn't true... but it isn't
true!!

The Moby XML is "defined" by the Moby Object ontology, much as RDF-XML can
be "defined by" an OWL ontology (please don't attack me for saying it that
way - I KNOW that this is backwards from the way OWL and RDF actually
work!).  The resulting flexibility in document structure cannot be handled
by XML Schema.

It sucks for us, since we want to use WSDL... but it's a painful reality.

Mark