[MOBY-dev] Primitives as primary input

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 11 15:23:21 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I believe, for reasons that I've outlined before, that namespace
inheritance is generally a very bad idea.  I can see what Tom and
Andreas are getting in terms of practicality of protocol + content type
specification, but strongly stand by the fact that the
protocol/namespace equivalence should be the mechanism in Moby.  Now the
question is how to combine the namespace and the data type in a service
signature if that service is a retrieval service.  The VirtualPNGImage
method is currently the only way, but the Virtual idea is usable for any
object.  So we'd need to be able to add an attribute saying "I'm
virtual".  e.g.

<PNGImage namespace="http" id="//google.com/images.foo.png" virtual="yes"/>

And we'd have to add to the service signature a mechanism for saying
"I'll accept a PNGImage, or a virtual one that is in the http, ftp or
scp namespaces".  Of course, by default, a service will only accept real
objects as they do know.  You'd have explicitly register the fact that
you take virtual data.

My $0.02

Paul