[MOBY-dev] Primitives as primary input

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Jan 10 16:50:51 UTC 2008

Yup, me too.

(same for URL...)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:51:06 -0800, Paul Gordon <gordonp at ucalgary.ca>
wrote:

> I think the litmus tests would be:
> -might I need to subclass the identifier?
> -would it be useful to associate the identifier with anything besides a
> base object?
> -is it a subtype of some other identifier?
>
> The answers for email are:
> -no
> -yes (e.g. use it as the namespace for a Person object, which relates
> oppositely to the data-type argument by Mark)
> -no
>
> Sounds like a namespace to me...
>
> Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi Andreas!
>>
>> That's a very interesting case!  Is "email" a data-type (Object) or a
>> semantic-type (Namespace)??  It is a semantic type in the sense that
>> all email addresses are unique, and therefore behave as identifiers...
>> but it is often used as a data-type in that it would be associated with
>> other information like an address and telephone number.
>>
>> Personally I would be tempted to make a new namespace 'emailAddress' or
>> something like that, since semantic "precision" is the goal of these
>> two ontologies.
>>
>> What did we do for URLs?  ...LOL!  Okay, I just went to have a look in
>> the ontologies and we have an Object "URL" and a Namespace "URL"!!!  I
>> guess others have had the same question and made different decisions
>> :-)  I see that it is Pieter's services that consume the Object "URL" -
>> maybe he can explain to us why he chose to make URL an object rather
>> than a namespace.
>>
>> Pieter?

>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 03:20:11 -0800, Andreas Groscurth
>> <groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de> wrote:
>>
>>> And hi again,
>>>
>>> we just had the discussion here... is it recommended to use primitives
>>> as
>>> primary input ? Or are there actually only for use in secondary
>>> parameters or
>>> as part of a complex datatype ?
>>>
>>> E.g. if a service requires an email as input - give it an object with
>>> namespace 'email' or similar - or could I use String with namespace
>>> 'email'
>>>
>>> Thanks and byebye
>>> andreas

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
Tel:  604 682 2344 x62129
Fax:  604 806 9274

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.