[MOBY-dev] A need for Moby 1.0.0.1?

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Jan 8 19:14:25 UTC 2008

in the mobycentral.conf file there is an "lsid-authority" parameter that
is set during installation.  Any new "entities" created by that registry
will have that value as the authority of the lsid.

...I don't see the problem...??

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:38:00 -0800, Paul Gordon <gordonp at ucalgary.ca>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was talking off-list with Eddie and I think I found a problem with the
> current spec vis-a-vis LSIDs.  Currently, there is no way to figure out
> a given registry what its LSID authority is.  This means you can't
> reliably resolve metadata about objects without hardcoding the
> authority.  For example, if I want to resolve the meta data for a
> service such as TrimVectorSeqs @ moby.ucalgary.ca the LSID is
>
> urn:lsid:biomoby.org:serviceinstance:moby.ucalgary.ca,TrimVectorSeqs
>
> which I can fetch and get all kinds of wonderful details about the
> service, including in the future things like test cases.  The problem is
> that the biomoby.org part only works for stuff registered at the main
> Moby Central server.  If I want to use the INB central server, there is
> currently no way for the registry to tell me what to put in the LSID
> where the "biomoby.org" normally is.  I need this, for example, so that
> MobyService.getService(name, authority, registry) can fetch all the
> details of the service and create a meaningful MobyService object from
> RDF (as that's the direction we are heading).  This is the last bit of
> my jMOBY code that doesn't support multiple registries, so it's serious
> stumbling block.
>
> My proposal is that we a new method something like the current
> retrieveResourceURLs method, but called
> retrieveResourceLSIDAuthorities.  The output would look like:
>
> <resourceLSIDAuthorities>
>        <Resource name="Service" authority="biomoby.org">
>        <Resource name="Object" url="biomoby.org"/>
>        <Resource name="Namespace" authrity="biomoby.org"/>
>        <Resource name="ServiceInstance" url="inb.es"/>
> </resourceLSIDAuthorities>
>
> In this particular case, the registry is using the standard data type,
> namespace and service type definitions, but has its own list of service
> instances...such a mirror probably may not exist at the moment, but you
> get the point.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Paul

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
Tel:  604 682 2344 x62129
Fax:  604 806 9274

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.