[MOBY-dev] BiB submission

mark wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Nov 16 02:39:08 UTC 2007

So BiB has "gently" rejected the manuscript due to it's length, but have re-offered their invitation if we cut it down (significantly), and they are completely happy with us submitting large portions of the details as "Supplementary Information".

I've cut-out 30% of the manuscript and created a supplementary appendix where I make the more detailed arguments.  It's still slightly over-length, but the editor indicated some compassion and may allow the submission at it's current length.  To be honest, I think the paper is more "punchy" now, and reads better than it did with the full discussion in the main text :-)  as soon as I get the OK from the editor I'll up this modified copy to the CVS.

More than anything I'm really excited to have it as an invited submission to such a high-impact journal after the painful process that we just went through with PLoS ONE (a low-impact journal)... Having said that, I worry that we're not necessarily reaching the full breadth of audience that we really want to reach.  Is there anyone in the community who wants to take-up the task of writing a more biologically-oriented manuscript for e.g. Genome Biology?  I'm really not in a position to do this myself since (oddly enough) I don't actually *use* Moby to solve any biological problems... But I know there are lot of you on the list who do!!

Just an idea...

Mark Wilkinson
...on the road!