[MOBY-dev] beginning to seriously tackle legacy data integration and querying issues in OWL/RDF (Semantic Web)?

Ian Goldsmid igoldsmid at semanticdiscoverysystems.com
Thu Nov 15 01:43:45 UTC 2007

   Hi

   This is a once only posting. I think some of you may find this useful:

   What is this about in one (rather long J ) sentence?

   Semantic Discovery Systems software that now enables non technical end users
   – through a familiar end-user-friendly Concept Map/Topic Map + Faceted
   Browser GUI representation of OWL Ontologies: to map, view, navigate and
   query; distributed, heterogeneous, corporate/legacy data sources and web
   services, with significantly automated mapping between data sources and OWL,
   and distributed query optimization to ensure optimal performance.

   --------

   The first of its kind to go fully beyond a research prototype to truly
   Enterprise Scalable Deployment:

   Martin O’Connor, one of the Protégé Staff at Stanford we collaborate with:
   [1]http://protege.stanford.edu/aboutus/aboutus.html,              and,
   [2]http://bmir.stanford.edu/people/view.php/martin_j_oconnor -- recently
   said to us: “but people are only beginning to seriously tackle legacy data
   integration   and   querying   issues   in   OWL.  The  existing  data
   querying/integration  solutions that are out there are mostly research
   prototypes”….

   We are one of the very few Semantic application software developers with a
   comprehensive product offering, with foundations that are fully mature and
   commercially proven too, that delivers optimized legacy data integration
   with W3C RDF/OWL/SPARQL.

   ---------

   A few additional summary points:

   There is extensive information at [3]www.SemanticDiscoverySystems.com,
   although  [4]SDS_Quick_View.ppt is intended summarily elaborate on the
   following points:

     * The Semantic Discovery System generates mappings between Ontologies
       (created  in  W3C OWL) and distributed, heterogeneous data sources
       (oracle, any rdbms, any files (Excel for example), AND internal/external
       Web  Services  – (e.g. NCBI, Kegg, etc) – such that an end-user, a
       Pharmaceutical Researcher, Clinical Scientist, Fraud Investigator,
       Financial Analyst for example, can NOW:

     * View and navigate all the underlying distributed data -- all the objects
       or  concepts  –  e.g.  genes,  proteins, compounds etc - AND their
       relationships  -- in a familiar, user-friendly Concept Map/Network
       Diagram  graphical  user  interface, and/or a faceted browser (see
       [5]SDS_Quick_View.ppt)

     * AND  most importantly – the functionality to query that underlying
       distributed, heterogeneous data using that same user-friendly Concept
       Map GUI (W3C SPARQL is auto-generated to do that) – i.e. the Concept Map
       is also the Query Builder.

     The Semantic Discovery System has a built in distributed Query Optimizer
   (this  optimization  technology has a ten year track record) – this is
   effective  for  optimizing  queries  across distributed databases. The
   underlying data sources are Federated – i.e. queried in place – NOT pushed
   up to the client as they are in a few other existing systems of a similar
   kind,  which  causes  an untenable bottleneck for anything but a small
   experimental prototype.

     The Semantic Discovery System is architecturally appropriate for Large
   Scale Enterprise deployments – AND we also supply a fully functional desktop
   version for individual users too.

     As    an    extended    introduction    –    please    navigate   to
   [6]www.semanticdiscoverysystems.com – and start by reading the bullet points
   in the right hand panel with the heading - Why SDS?

     A  key  outcome from using SDS, is that end users can now map, view,
   navigate, work with, and query distributed, heterogeneous data without
   further programming intervention – using a graphical interface paradigm they
   are already familiar with, and find entirely natural to use.

   I hope that helps clarify one way or the other, whether this may, or will
   not be of some interest.

   If this is of interest to you, we offer an Early Access Program you may want
   to take a look at: [7]SDS_V7_EAP_Plan.ppt

   Thanks and looking forward to the possibility of hearing from you.

   Kind Regards, Ian
   Ian Goldsmid
   UK: +44 (208) 816 8379
   US West Coast: +1 (415) 691 6097
   US East Coast: +1 (617) 314 6330

   Asia Pacific: +64 9 889 0269

   Skype: igoldsmid:

   [8]cid:image001.png at 01C826A4.75B38350

   JahJah FreePhone:

   [9]cid:image002.png at 01C826A4.75B38350

   [10]igoldsmid at semanticdiscoverysystems.com

   [11]www.insilicodiscovery.com

   [12]www.semanticdiscoverysystems.com

   cid:image005.jpg at 01C826A9.B1B27410