[MOBY-dev] Holy cow! Lotsa hits!

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:08:37 UTC 2006

Well, let me be more realistic. I do not like so called "Potemkin's"
villages (see google if it does not ring any bell). Of course, I am glad
that BioMoby is growing, and I will support it in any possible way. And I
also understand that some facts are good for PR and for funding agencies.

But... For us, we should be more precise what these hits actually mean. For
example, I assume (please correct me if I am wrong) that every time somebody
updates her local cash from Dashboard, it increases the hit numbers. Also,
all these automated tools may influence how many times the registry is
accessed. Which gives us a distorted picture.

Better, possibly, would be to agree to an HTTP agent name (or names) that we
can use in this automatic tools - and to separate in the statistics *all*
hits (good for funding agencies) from the other hits where we do not include
requests from this (or these) HTTP agent(s).

Just my "c's,

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com