[MOBY-dev] [moby] BioMOBY at the Oscars

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Mar 8 17:54:19 UTC 2006

Eddie, THIS is why I keep telling you to **put these things up on the
website!** :-)

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 09:50 -0800, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> You should talk to Eddie - I think he already has a taverna plugin that
> does that...

> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 16:51 +0000, Stian Soiland wrote:
> > On 8. mar. 2006, at 16:25, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> >
> > > urn:lsid:biomoby.org:serviceinstance:org.inab.upc,runFasty:
> > > 2006-03-04T08-50-58Z
> >
> > This seems like an OK example, but maybe not a good match for our task.
> >
> > > does that help?  What, specifically, are you looking for in the
> > > RDF?  A
> > > comprehensive use of all of the predicates, or a "gold standard" for
> > > what we consider to be a well-documented (i.e. described) service?
> >
> > More specifically we are looking for good examples of semantic
> > descriptions that we can use for Taverna while developing semantic
> > linking/browsing/searching. In particular, descriptions of inputs and
> > outputs that are a bit more specific than "Object", so that we can
> > build GUI elements in Taverna for use cases like this rough description:
> >
> > a) Add a BioMoby processor into the Taverna workflow
> > b) Click on the process, find that the input is a string described as
> > a "GCP_Phenotype"
> > c) Browse a list of BioMoby services that can provide the output type
> > "GCP_Phenotype"
> > d) Add one of the services to the workflow and connect it
> >
> > Of course, limiting the search by "performs task NCBI_Blast" is also
> > nice.
> >

> > So a good example would be one (or a few related) services that has
> > this kind of information specified and that actually works. :-)

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future