[MOBY-dev] encodeException question....

Björn Usadel usadel at mpimp-golm.mpg.de
Fri Jul 21 16:23:07 UTC 2006

Hi Frank,

as far as I am concerned just fix my documentation bug.

The reason I incorporated these (methods not the bug) into CommonSubs is
that there was no solution available and when I asked in the beginning
of the year if somebody was working on it, nobody replied.

I personally think the INB solution is cleaner and also contains all the
error codes etc., but by then I already had the code checked in. As far
as I know their code is not yet checked in.

I think also in the OO Perl approach there seems to be some code. So
there will be many ways for the same goal.

Oh also if you use the CommonSubs methods please report if it actually
proves useful.

Cheers,
Björn

Frank Gibbons wrote:
>    Hi,
>    Been away from MOBY for a while, now I'm back, and I see that everyone's
>    been  very  busy  ;-)  Major kudos to Mark/Pieter on his work encoding
>    Exceptions in the Perl API, as well as cleaning up the message-parsing into
>    an object-oriented form. So much cleaner now than in the past!
>    I  notice  also  that  the  INB  group posted to the mailing list some
>    nice-looking code to encode all the work in the RFC from last year, but I
>    didn't see it make it into the actual code base. Am I right? It too looked
>    pretty clean, seems like it'd make a good addition to the codebase.
>    Regarding the docs for CommonSubs::encodeExceptions, it seems to me that the
>    first two arguments are confused:
>    usage:
>   encodeException(
>
> -refElement => 'refers to the queryID of the offending input
> mobyData',
>
> -refQueryID => 'refers to the articleName of the offending input
> Simple or Collection'
>
>    <snip-snip>
>    Surely, 'refQueryID' should contain the queryID, and not refElement, while
>    refElement should contain the articleName. I can fix it, just wanted to
>    check, since I've been away for a while.
>    -Frank
>
>    PhD, Computational Biologist,
>    Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
>    Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
>    617-432-3557       [1]http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons
>
> References
>
>    1. http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons

Björn Usadel, PhD

Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology
System Regulation Group

Am Mühlenberg 1
D-14476 Golm
Germany