[MOBY-dev] [moby] Suggestion for new tag in Parameter(Secondary Input specification)

Oswaldo Trelles ots at ac.uma.es
Fri Feb 24 18:04:33 UTC 2006

Hi all and Pieter in particular:

This is Oswaldo from the gnv5 -University of Malaga- group at the INB.
Perhaps Pieter's mail needs some additional information from our group to
better understand some aspects of the INB architecture.

The INB project was started in March'04, a major decision was make to use
BioMOBY as the underlying integration protocol. However, several of the
desirable functionalities were not available in the protocol, specially
important from the INB perspective were the ability to launch large-CPU
tasks using asynchronous messaging; a protocol for error handling (and, in
the way, some specific rules for dealing with collections; help information,
DB optimization, etc etc. we expect to propose extensions in these fields.
soon).

However, we design the architecture keeping in mind to maintain full
compatibility with moby. A good example is our current async implementation
(see the attached document for a longer description). What can we learn from
this document? that we extend the protocol -async- even with the double cost
of maintain moby compatibility: Even more, our current proposal for async
was born during the INB meeting (July'05) and discussed with Martin and
Eddie. This proposal is completely new and -if approved- we will need to
re-write our async code (well, not at all). Thus, once we are part of the
moby group and our ideas can be taken into account, we will move closer in
the moby direction to avoid double work from our side (as you can imagine,
this is what we want).

On the other hand, our registration procedure -in my opinion- does not break
our moby compatibility. In fact you can use directly all the services we
have developed. If you see the new fields, most of them are used to allow
(user-friendly and self explicative) automatic interface building. SO they
don't have any influence in the services call protocol.

We of course will be happy to propose a documentation system and other
extensions, but at this moment there are other priorities.

In sumary; in fact we have our own ideas about a full protocol. For
strategic reasons we develeop at our own cost, some moby extension (from a
practical point of view, we took our own decisions because we needed a fast
development -you know that error handling have spent more than 4 months in
discussion!!!!). But we dont want to break moby (and we are not going to do
that).

sorry for this long (and boring) dissertation.

Oswaldo

PS with repect to the registration procedure, it can be done using moby
functionality, but we request additional information to be used by our
client (if you want addictional information on our protocol dont hesitate to
request)