[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: Cleaning up the Object ontology - Inheriting from base Object

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Feb 17 03:56:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:53:04 -0800, Martin Senger <senger at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

>    * I prefer to have semantics (if I accept that they can be any
> semantics in computers) in the object names because they have mechanism
> of inheritance and containment - while namespaces do not.

Could we find common ground if we made an API change that resulted in the
Namespace ontology being hierarchical rather than flat?  If I understand
the problem you are trying to solve, this would make a significant
difference - but would it make *enough* difference that you wouldn't have
to create more specific types of simple Objects?  You have thought through
your solution from beginning to end, and I haven't, so I don't want to
presume.  Though I agree that the "live and let live" solution doesn't do
anyone any harm, it would enhance interoperability if we were all using
the same philosophy to build the objects that we are supposed to be
sharing...