[MOBY-dev] Cleaning up the Object ontology - Inheriting from base Object

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 00:19:08 UTC 2006

> Here is my position statement - please feel free to attack it or support
> it:

   I am not going to attack it, and I am far away from supporting it.

> Statement:  Any Object that is registered as deriving from base Object,
> without any HAS or HASA relationships, should be considered invalid.

   My position is clear here, and without any heat in my heart (my heart
has already burned in the pre-xmas discussion you mentioned) I just state
that this is unacceptable for me.

> My proposal:  The Registry should trap attempts to register Objects that
> derive from base Object without any additional syntactic complexity, and
> refuse to register them.

   Which would mean (IMO), at least, to loose quite a chunk of Biomoby
users and developers.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)