[MOBY-dev] [moby] non-compliant services

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 11:00:52 UTC 2006

> I see this as the second question of a two-question set, where the first
> question is "how do we FIND these non-compliant services in the first
> place?"

   Correct.

> You and I run across them somewhat randomly

   Yes - but if it happens, what is the policy? Should I informe Eddie, or
you to inform the contact, or should I send her/him myself an email? Both
is fine with me. But what happen when there is no reaction? Are you
willing to remove such service (after some waiting period)?

> I am entirely in favour of removing these services from the registry,
> since they only serve to confuse people.

   Good, my question answered. And I second it.

> Anyone who has not downloaded their RDF is also unlikely to have fixed
> their services, so they will get culled from the registry.

   That I would not be so sure. I surely will suggest GCP service
providers to wait quite long before starting to register their services
with the RDF URL. We need to trust first that an agent can come at once
(within seconds, I mean) when we call it - otherwise will will rather take
a risk to be unregistered by a malicious person. For that reasons, we
already started to put scripts that can help with fast re-registration if
a need comes.

> Regardless, we are still left with the question of what to do when you
> receive an illegally structured object.  I think the client should raise
> a warning

   Well, that's an additional effort in client development. I understand
your point, and I will try to help to make such clever clients, but I do
not feel that is my priority. I would just stick with the policy tht I
asked for/about above...

> It would be great if we could do a registry "purge" at some point in the
> near future to get rid of the clutter...

   ...and the wrong CSHL objects :-)

> Certainly, I think we MUST do a purge of "test" services/objects
> before we publish our respective articles on gbrowse_moby and
> dashboard, or we will frustrate and confuse the reviewers!

   Agree! BTW, let me know when the time is coming and you need something
from me for hese articles...

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)