[MOBY-dev] non-compliant services

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 15:57:07 UTC 2006

I wonder (I forgot it) what was the decision, after the big change
regarding not inheriting from primitive types,  what to do and when with
services that do not comply with the new specification. I think that the
discussion was about what to do with old data types, there was even a
script to rectify them semi-automatically, but I do not recall what we
said about the services.
   An example is a service getFASTAFromUniprot - a nice, fast, possibly
reliable and important service, but it returns something like this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><moby:MOBY
xmlns:moby='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'
xmlns='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'><moby:mobyContent
moby:authority='mmb.pcb.ub.es'>
        <moby:mobyData moby:queryID='sip_1_'>
            <moby:Simple moby:articleName=''><FASTA namespace=''
id='Q7T7Q6'><![CDATA[&gt;Q7T7Q6_9REOV (Q7T7Q6) Sigma C (Fragment)
AGLNPSQRREVVSLILSLTSNVTISHGDLTPIYERLTNLEASTELLHRSISDISTTVSNI
SASLQDMTHTLDDVTANLDGLRTTVTALQDSVSILSTNVTDLTNTSSAHAATLSSLQTTV
DGNSTAISNLKSDVSSNGLAITDLQDRVKSLESTASHGLSFSPPLSVADGVVSLDMDPYF
CSQRVSLTSYPAEAQLMQFRWMARGTNGSSDTIDMTVNAHCHGRRTDYMMSSTGNLTVTS
NVVLLTFDLSDITHIPSDLARLVPSAGFQAASFPVDVSFTRDSATHAYQAYGVYSSSRVF
TITFPTGGDGTA
]]></FASTA></moby:Simple>
        </moby:mobyData>
        </moby:mobyContent></moby:MOBY>

which is, according my limited knowledge wrong (the FASTA should have a
String with the value there).

   Are we going to remove one day such services from a registry?

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)