[MOBY-dev] [moby] RFC #1941: Data returned by xxx_async and xxx_poll

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Feb 9 21:33:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 21:20 +0100, Johan Karlsson wrote:
> This is really one of the hot-points. Should we wrap this data in
> mobyStatus or in mobyData? It really comes down to a question of
> viewpoints (both ways would be possible to implement).
>

> Now, let us try to explain our position (which is to keep mobyStatus):
>
> We do not want to put such information in mobyObjects because it would
> mean that we put what is really status (event) information about jobs in
> the Moby object ontology.

I would argue that you have simply moved the problem to another level of
the system - you are now passing event information in the data
payload :-)

This is what I liked about Tom's suggestion - after reading about WSRF
it seemed to me that the SOAP header would be the appropriate place to
pass status information, and that the behaviour of MOBY services from
the client perspective would therefore be identical to what it is now.
You call XXX_result and you get an empty response; however in the SOAP
header, for those clients that can read it, there is a variety of status
information.  No need for new non-biological object types, no need for
new payload tags.

I disagree with an earlier comment that this would require a new RFC - I
think it is a simplification and improvement on the current RFC, and in
fact, it requires less of a change in the existing behaviour than any
other suggestion so far (at least as I understand them...)

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future