[MOBY-dev] RFC #1941 Asynchronous Service Call Proposal

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Tue Feb 7 13:27:33 UTC 2006

On 7-Feb-2006, at 12:05 PM, David Gonzalez Pisano wrote:

> Robert Buels escribió:
>>> use the mixed mode. Because if we do so, we cannot use xxx_result
>>> as a
>>> cleaning method (see more about cleaning below), we would need to
>>> have
>>> another method, such as xxx_clean.
>>>
>>>   No. Johan is using 'job' for one request (which can have more
>>> mobyData
>>> parts). Once you call xxx_async, the whole such request is
>>> identified by a
>>> 'job identifier'.
>>>

>> It looks to me like our different interpretations here might be
>> because
>> of a lack of clarity in number 2 on page 8 of the RFC.  It doesn't
>> really specify whether one mobyStatus block is returned with an
>> asyncID
>> referring to all the submitted jobs/mobyData blocks, or whether one
>> mobyStatus is returned for each mobyData in the input, with a
>> separate
>> ID for each.  I assumed the latter, and I think Martin assumed the
>> former.  Whichever way it was intented, I definitely think we
>> should get
>> one unique asyncID per mobyData in the input.
>>

> Maybe the wording has to be change to make it clearer, but the idea is
> exactly like Robert interprets it: having a single and unique
> mobyStatus
> (ie, asyncID) for each one of the mobyData (ie, queryIDs) sent in the
> original execution request.

Well in that case, the queryID and asyncID are redundant aren't they?
They are both just unique pointers to identify a certain mobyData
block. It would be good though to have an additional ID / ticket to
represent a session (that might be based on user's credentials etc.).

I think we definitely need one mobyStatus per mobyData block. So I
disagree with Martin there. If Martin wants to keep things simple he
can always summarise all the mobyStatus elements for one session and
tell a user whether the whole batch has finished or not.

Pi

> David

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen