[MOBY-dev] RFC #1941 Asynchronous Service Call Proposal

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 06:45:48 UTC 2006

For those who are not patient to read our long emails, these are the
options for the 'mixed' mode, summarized so far (as I understand them).
All these discussion is mainly relevant for cases when more 'mobyData'
parts is sent in one request (but things about cleaning up are general):

A) The method xxx_async would return so many 'job' IDs as the number of
'mobyData' parts. A client can use them to ask invividually for status of
each 'mobyData' (using xxx_poll) and to get separately result for each
'mobyData' part (using xxx_result).

If this option is agreed on, I strongly suggest to have also a 'job' ID
(that I would call either 'request id' or 'sesson id') that is also
returned by method xxx_async, and that can be used to ask for the status
and result of all 'mobyData' parts in one go (this is because of
compatibility with the current sync services).

B) Or, there will not be individual IDs for each 'mobyData' part, but only
a global (session, request) one. So the B option is actually the second
paragraph in the A option.

As I see it, we definitely needs B, but we may have also functionality
described in the first paragraph of A - but that is an additional feature
that I do not feel that important. Make things simple unless we need them!

Finally, cleanning can be done by xxx_result (in both A and B), but Robert
is right that some additional insurance for long-running jobs is welcome.
It can be achieved by an additional method xxx_clean.

PS. Where is Mark, Eddie, Paul, Frank, Rebecca with there comments!?
M.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)