[MOBY-dev] RFC #1941 Asynchronous Service Call Proposal

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Feb 2 19:01:46 UTC 2006

Hi Johan,

Thanks for providing such a clearly written proposal!  I've added it to
Bugzilla in order to get a tracking number (#1941), and have attached
your PDF file to the enhancement request.

Overall, it sounds like a great solution!  I have read it a few times,
and have just one or two questions/comments:

1)  Page 3 - "illegitimate".  I have modified the MessageStructure.html
document so that it no longer says "illegitimate".  Perhaps you can
update that part of the document.

2)  In section 3.1 you indicate that you would like the asynchronous
information to be added to the data we capture in the registry; however
later in that same section, you say "the proper way to do this" is
through LSID resolution to metadata.  Which is your preference?  The
former choice requires a change in the registry API, while the latter
does not.  I guess the choice comes down to a question of whether or not
a client will ever want to search specifically for asynchronous
services... if the answer to that is "yes" then it should be in the
registry.  What was your intention?

3)  Let's define the new predicate as follows v.v. the RDF for Service
Instances:
	mobyPred:isAsynchronous
	Domain: mygrid:operation
	Range:  xsd:boolean
	Definition:  a boolean indication of the service providers ability to
provide the associated operation in asynchronous, as well as
synchronous, mode, according to the specification for asynchronous Moby
service calls in the Moby API.

4)  I infer from your description that it should be possible to retrieve
the results of some queryID's (the ones that have completed) while
others are still running.  Is that correct?  If so, you should perhaps
say so explicitly in this document.

5)  You might want to create a new section of the document that
describes the mobyStatus element so that it is explicitly clear that
this is a new addition to the MOBY XML.

6) Section 3.3.2 final paragraph - could you add an explicit example of
the proposed use of refQueryID in the mobyException block (if only
because the mobyException block is quite a new addition to the API
itself...)

7) Section 3.3.5 - what is the response if I request servicename_result
on a queryID that has not completed?

This is a great proposal!!

You probably already have MOBY code that does it, since INB is already
doing this (right?).  Will you be committing that code for us when the
RFC is adopted?

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future