[MOBY-dev] [moby] Here's a question....

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Feb 1 20:39:27 UTC 2006

I have no problem with this.  whatever makes it more correct and easier
to use is a good thing!

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 15:39 -0500, Frank Gibbons wrote:
> At 03:21 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
> >Anyway, I'm glad to know that it's not just me ;-). I'm going to try to
> >configure Makefile.PL to properly handle dependencies, so that it works
> >like it's supposed to. I think there's some kind of variable to tell it
> >where to find the real code - we should point it at MOBY (not lib/MOBY, the
> >default)
>
> Anyone know of a good reason to explicitly copy the code from MOBY to lib/MOBY?
>
> ExtUtils::MakeMaker has a variable (called 'PMLIBDIRS') that allows you to
> tell perl where the source code lives, so there's no need to copy it from
> one place to another, just point it to the right place, and you're all set.
> It defaults to ["lib", "MOBY"], and perhaps that's why the copying
> statement was added. But really it's unnecessary (as I see it), and
> confusing. I intend to check in a new Makefile.PL that uses PMLIBDIRS and
> does away with the copying.
>
> Let me know if there's a good reason for NOT changing things (maybe it
> won't work on Mac OS 9? maybe it only works in Perl 5.6.x or better?). I'll
> check in within 24 hours, otherwise.
>
> The reason FOR this change is to follow the implicit rules of building a
> perl module (or any software using 'make'). Rebuilding should be
> accomplishable by typing "make", nothing more.
>
> -Frank
>

> PhD, Computational Biologist,
> Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
> Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
> 617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future