[MOBY-dev] [moby] Here's a question....

Frank Gibbons francis_gibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 1 20:39:29 UTC 2006

At 03:21 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
>Anyway, I'm glad to know that it's not just me ;-). I'm going to try to
>configure Makefile.PL to properly handle dependencies, so that it works
>like it's supposed to. I think there's some kind of variable to tell it
>where to find the real code - we should point it at MOBY (not lib/MOBY, the
>default)

Anyone know of a good reason to explicitly copy the code from MOBY to lib/MOBY?

ExtUtils::MakeMaker has a variable (called 'PMLIBDIRS') that allows you to
tell perl where the source code lives, so there's no need to copy it from
one place to another, just point it to the right place, and you're all set.
It defaults to ["lib", "MOBY"], and perhaps that's why the copying
statement was added. But really it's unnecessary (as I see it), and
confusing. I intend to check in a new Makefile.PL that uses PMLIBDIRS and
does away with the copying.

Let me know if there's a good reason for NOT changing things (maybe it
won't work on Mac OS 9? maybe it only works in Perl 5.6.x or better?). I'll
check in within 24 hours, otherwise.

The reason FOR this change is to follow the implicit rules of building a
perl module (or any software using 'make'). Rebuilding should be
accomplishable by typing "make", nothing more.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons