[MOBY-dev] [moby] Here's a question....

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Feb 1 19:03:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 13:56 -0500, Frank Gibbons wrote:

> Thanks, Mark. So each time I make a change to a source file, I re-do the
> entire build process? That's what I had decided needed to happen, as
> illogical as it sounds to me, since the usual "make" wasn't working properly.

Yeah, I believe you do need to re-do the entire process (though I think
you could also do a "make clean" rather than re-running the Makefile...
I think...)

> Why do we have the duality between MOBY and lib/MOBY? (There's also the
> version in blib/lib/MOBY, but we know that's created by Perl automatically,
> so let's not even go there.) Wouldn't it be easier to have a single copy?
> Is there a good reason to have two copies (I alluded to some in my previous
> emails).

To be honest, I haven't thought about it in years.  It's one of those
things that "just works", and I can't remember the details of why.  The
lib and the blib folders are created through the "make" process, and I
simply never look at them, since there's no point in editing anything in
there anyway...

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future