[MOBY-dev] MOBY II (Was: fixes in Moses)

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Feb 1 15:31:43 UTC 2006

Absolutely - it isn't going to change in a hurry, and it isn't going to
change without good reason!

There are still many things that can be done with MOBY to use/improve it
under the current architecture;  however, the "research" potential of the
MOBY architecture is largely spent - it's now more a (well funded!)
technical excercise of tweaking and adding improvements here and there.
There is research potential in the automated selection of services, and
the automated integration of the resulting data, and I have grant
applications in within those domains, but MOBY *architecture* per se is no
longer a "research theme" of my group;  Since I am obligated to a research
programme out of my lab, we're starting to "play" with RDF representations
of MOBY data here just to see how much (if any) advantage it gives us, and
whether OWL versions of the MOBY ontologies help in the service
discovery/data integration problem.

So... don't worry, I'm not suggesting that we break anything! :-)