[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY Asynchronous Service Call Proposal v2.2

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Aug 25 11:12:58 UTC 2006

Hi Johan et al.,

Thank you very much for the updated proposal! It took me a few days
to read the proposal and all the referenced standards, so I can
imagine it took you quite some time to put this together. I think the
big picture looks good, but I do have a few small comments /
questions. I'll send them one comment / e-mail in order prevent mixed
up discussions and lengthy e-mails...

Thanks,

Pi

On 7-Aug-2006, at 8:41 PM, Johan Karlsson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Attached to this email you can find an updated version (2.2) of the
> INB proposal
> for asynchronous services.
>
> We have added some things that were suggested during the
> discussions and changed
> some wordings to make it more clear what is intended. Please see
> summary in the
> end of this letter for the main changes. We are very grateful for
> earlier
> comments and suggestions and hope for more. If there is something
> we missed to
> update from the earlier discussion, please let us know.
>
> The great difference from the earlier public version is that we are
> now using an
> OASIS standard, the Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF), to
> communicate
> status and results. The main reason is that the polling approach
> that we are
> advocating requires that the web-service in question maintains some
> sort of
> state and WSRF is exactly intended to provide a standardised way to
> handle
> this.
>
> We realise that WSRF might be a new experience for many BioMOBY-
> developers and
> therefore we have developed some functions to simplify
> implementation of
> asynchronous services and clients (in Perl) and a prototype to
> illustrate their
> use. In fact, to write a basic asynchronous BioMOBY service with
> the library is
> not much different compared to how it is done for synchronous
> services (see
> HelloWorld.pm).
>
> More details about the modules and the prototype here:
>
> http://bioinfo.pcm.uam.es/prototype/
>
> There you can also find an example of a WSDL (mentioned in the
> document but not
> included as appendix for reasons of readability). The parts
> relating to WSRF
> would have to be added to the WSDL that MobyCentral generates today.
>
> Let us restart the discussions and reach an agreement soon,
> asynchronous
> services/clients are definitely needed. Should we set as a goal to
> reach a
> decision on the RFC by the end of August?
>
> Suggestions/improvements and comments for both the proposal and the
> modules are
> greatly welcomed.
>
> Summary of major changes in the document:
>
> -    WSRF to communicate state information instead of MobyStatus
> -     It is possible to retrieve results or status for specific
> mobyData inputs
> ("jobs")
> -    Better descriptions of job and batch-call
> -    More descriptions of the error-cases
> -    Updated information about how to describe async services in RDF
>      (Mark, can you please double-check this, we need a Boolean
> [...]

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen