[MOBY-dev] Agent does not change Registry

mark wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Aug 22 14:34:03 UTC 2006

Speaking of LSID's, there's one small and rare loophole in the current plan for LSID's of service instances.

Background:  the RDF describing a service instance is "owned" by the service provider.  It is planned that the address of this RDF document is going to be provided as the LSID resolution address when Moby Central is acting as an LSID authority server.  At the moment, this RDF document includes a reference to the Service Instance LSID itself - hence the problem described below (you cannot change the signature without changing the LSID).  After discussions with Martin and Eddie we have agreed that the "owner" of an LSID is the LSID authority (moby central) and so the control of LSID versioning should be in moby central rather than the service provider.  The new behavior will be that moby central will update both the service registration and the LSID version when the agent visits a service provider and discovers a modified signature RDF.

The "gotcha" in this scenario is when moby central is acting as the authority server for an LSID representing a service whose signature has JUST been modified (before the agent visits again).  The metadata resolved will not be the same as the last resolution of that LSID.

We can either shrug our shoulders and not care about this rare case, or we can slow things down a bit and have mobycentral (when acting as an authority server) resolve an LSID first on its own to be sure its registration is up to date before passing the WSDL of the LSID resolver.

How important is this loophole to those who are building tools that rely on LSID resolution?

Mark Wilkinson
...on the road!