[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY meeting Fortaleza 2: BioMOBY meetings

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Sat Aug 5 17:16:37 UTC 2006

Hi All,

(To prevent the previous mail from getting too looooong, you'll find
a summary of other things we discussed in the next ones...)

It's been a while since Mark organised the last meeting specific to
BioMOBY in Vancouver. The mailinglist is a useful tool, but meeting
"live" once in while is invaluable. Simply because we can work/
discuss/brainstorm much faster when we sit together as compared to
sending dozens of e-mails.

In addition to brainstorming and discussing we feel such meetings
would also be a good place to make decisions about RFCs. When we plan
a meeting we have a strict deadline that will pass by less easily
without deciding what to implement. (What happened to the
asynchronous services proposal??? More about that in the next mail...)
In order to make decisions at such a meeting it is essential to
prepare the topics well and that all or at least most of the "core
developers" will join. The mailinglist would be fine for the foreplay
or maybe a teleconference would be nice.

So we hereby would like to propose that we try to have a real BioMOBY
meeting once a year (again). BioMOBY alone might not be worth the
effort to fly all over the world and most of us don't have unlimited
budgets for traveling. Therefore we propose to have a meeting the day
before or after some other big event. Who would be willing to join
and what events would be good candidates? Any suggestions? ECCB perhaps?

Cheers,

Martin and Pieter