[MOBY-dev] [moby] Moby services in Python

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Aug 2 15:19:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 12:00 +0200, Javier de la Torre wrote:

> I have another question. If I remember correctly it was not possible
> to describe moby data types with XML Schema so I suspect it is not
> possible to generate WSDL files for most of the services. But I see
> that in the Python library that there is a retrieveServiceWSDL method.
> What kinf of WSDL can you generate if the inputs are not fixed?

The WSDL contains rudimentary XML-Schema fragments in the input and
output:

<wsdl:message name="MOBY__SERVICE__NAME__Input">
          <wsdl:part name="data" type="xsd:string"/>
  </wsdl:message>

  <wsdl:message name="MOBY__SERVICE__NAME__Output">
          <wsdl:part name="body" type="xsd:string"/>
  </wsdl:message>

so basically all it is saying is that the input and output are going to
be blocks of XML.  The structure of that XML is opaque to the SOAP
libraries, but "visible" to the MOBY libraries that can do ontology-
lookups.  Unfortunately, there is no pyMoSeS - the MoSeS and Perl MoSeS
libraries written by Martin Senger and Eddie Kawas create Java/Perl
objects that can create/interpret the XML blocks of MOBY Objects.

> Finally, is there a registry, or part of it, where I can play
> registering data types?

I believe there is a test registry for public "play" at:

http://bioinfo.icapture.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/mobycentral/MOBY-Central.pl

URI:  http://bioinfo.icapture.ubc.ca/MOBY/Central

We're in the process of moving that machine physically inside of our
institutional firewall (and it isn't going well!) so the that server may
be up/down at various times over the next week or so until we figure out
why we can't "see" it once it is inside.

Let me know if you have problems with it.

>  It is easy to register things but difficult to
> delete them and I do not want to leave my testing in the real
> registry.

Thanks for being considerate :-)  :-)

Best wishes!

Mark

--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics

"Since the point of a definition is to explain the meaning of a term to
   someone who is unfamiliar with its proper application, the use of
language that doesn't help such a person learn how to apply the term is
 pointless. Thus, "happiness is a warm puppy" may be a lovely thought,
                     but it is a lousy definition."
                                                                Köhler et al, 2006