[MOBY-dev] RFC #1863 - change request & question

David González Pisano dgpisano at cnb.uam.es
Fri Sep 30 09:37:06 UTC 2005

Mark Wilkinson escribió:

>Hi David,
>
>I have a question:  Have you now lost interest in raising exceptions to
>individual simples in a collection?  I notice that your RFC no longer
>handles this case (though I came to realize that it was a good idea
>after you explained it to me :-) )

Well, we didn't lost interest, but thought about it and decided to
postpone the opening of the can of worms. After the next proposal
(asynchrony) we are thinking about a third one for dealing with
Collections, and Simples inside Collections. The main problematic point
will be to (re)define namespaces (or parameter labels) and propose
unique identifiers for Simples inside Collections, so we can refer to
them. That means that quite a lot of things in the current MOBY
specification could be discussed and changed, and we think is better not
to mix the discussion about the errors with the discussion about the
namespaces/collections. The latests proposals consider referring to the
exception raising element using elementID tag (instead of the original
namespaceID), so it can be easily extended to refer to Simples inside
Collections if in the future we propose a way to identify them

>Also a request for change:
>
>Change 1
>
>FROM
>In the case of Retrieve calls, failure will be silent and an empty
>object of the associated output
>type will be returned.

>In the case of Retrieve calls, failure will be silent should rise an
>exception and an empty object
>of the associated output type will be returned.
>
>TO (REVISED)
>In the case of an error, failure should raise an exception and an empty
>mobyData block with the appropriate queryID will be returned.
>

>Comments:  the wording in the original API are wrong - the object is no
>empty, the mobyData block is empty.

I think it makes much more sense, will update the document and will send
it again when is voted. BTW, I obviously vote YES, but don't know about
the rest of the voters, or even if we postponed the voting date to the
one suggested by Martin in October.