[MOBY-dev] different types of results

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Nov 12 13:15:05 UTC 2005

I wonder why moby register returned for two almost identical calls
different result type: once a String, once an array of bytes:

At the end of this message you will find two xml files, they differ only
in the authority:

senger at sherekhan:~/jMoby$ diff q1.xml q2.xml
11c11
< <authURI>samples.jmoby.net</authURI>
---
> <authURI>www.iris.irri.org</authURI>
18d17
<

When I call "findService" for authority samples.jmoby.net, I get results
as a String. When I call it for www.iris.irri.org, I am getting it as  an
array of bytes.

In both cases the contents of the reasult is correct but I wonder if this
is the bug. Does it perhaps depend on the special unicode characters that
are used in the services? (Not that I am awaee of any of those in these
services.)

I understand that biomoby services and clients are supposed to understand
both String and byte arrays, but it was never (AFAIK) mentioned that also
biomoby registry has this behaviour. I can fix it in jMoby (actually I am
fixing it as I speak) but I think that such behaviour is not good. Any
comment on that?

Thanks,
Martin

q1.xml
------
<findService><inputObjects>
<Input>
</Input>
</inputObjects>
<outputObjects>
<Output>
</Output>
</outputObjects>
<serviceType></serviceType>
<Category>moby</Category>
<authURI>samples.jmoby.net</authURI>
<expandObjects>1</expandObjects>
<expandServices>1</expandServices>
<authoritative>0</authoritative>
<keywords>
</keywords>
</findService>

q2.xml
------
<findService><inputObjects>
<Input>
</Input>
</inputObjects>
<outputObjects>
<Output>
</Output>
</outputObjects>
<serviceType></serviceType>
<Category>moby</Category>

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)