[moby] [MOBY-dev] Registrying a moby service that takes an input collection

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Nov 7 15:55:37 UTC 2005

Strictly speaking, so long as you return an object that is an ISA child
of what you have registered, you are compliant with the API.

Having said that, if you *always* return a CommentedDNASequence, then
you should probably re-register your service, since the intention is to
register the most complex object type that you can guarantee to return
in every case.

Either way, you are API compliant, so if this is what is causing the
problem, then it is a bug at our end.

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 16:37 +0100, Arnaud Kerhornou wrote:

> Edward Kawas wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >This is happening, because Taverna is expecting an object
> >type of DNASequence, yet CommentedDNASequence is being
> >passed in.
> >

> okay, maybe i should have asked this before, the service returns
> CommentedDNASequence objects, and the service specs say DNASequence
> objects, but CommentedDNASequence is-a DNASequence.
>
> I designed the service to return DNASequence objects. Then a user asked
> me to add a description foreach sequence the service returns, so i just
> changed the type of object the service returns to CommentedDNASequence
> and I didn't changed the specification of the service because i thought
> i didn't have to.
>
> Does it mean it is not allowed to do so ?
>
> I have a similar problem with the next service in my workflow. This
> service analyzes DNASequence objects. But i get CommentedDNASequence
> objects from the retrieval service. Again i can not do that ?
>
> Arnaud
>
> >Eddie

"Ontologists do it with the edges!"

Mark Wilkinson