[moby] RE: [MOBY-dev] vote on the RFC discussing Error Reporting

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Nov 4 12:12:43 UTC 2005

Hi David,

On 3-Nov-2005, at 6:36 PM, David González Pisano wrote:

> - Pieter (3/11/2005) - refArticlename - NOT INCLUDED. I know this
> can open a new can of worms about whether articlenames should be
> mandatory or not, and we have talked about this in the past. The
> problem is not with the exception reporting proposal, but with the
> MOBY specification itself: if Articlenames are not mandatory, and I
> can send several elements to the same type to my service, how can I
> differenciate them? If there is no need to differenciate them, or
> that does not make sense from the point of view of the service
> execution, then it makes no sense from the point of view of the
> exception reporting. If I cannot identify them individually, then I
> cannot report exceptions about them individually and thus I have to
> say "There is a problem with one or more or the inputs"

Good point. It's more clear to me now and I think what you describe
above is the best solution for the current BioMOBY spec.

> If I can differenciate them because they have an Articlename, then
> I use the refElement tag to refer to the problematic element...

If you ignore the element name and use the articleName attribute to
point to specific elements I do think it makes more sense to name
that attribute refArticleName instead of refElement though. Having
the refElement attribute contain a articleName adds unnescessary
confusion to the error reporting mix.

Cheers,

Pieter

> Does this make sense?

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen