[moby] RE: [MOBY-dev] vote on the RFC discussing Error Reporting

David González Pisano dgpisano at cnb.uam.es
Thu Nov 3 17:36:53 UTC 2005

Hello Martin,

I've just sent you the latest version (2.02, 3rd November 2005) version
which includes some of the changes that were discussed during October.
The document is also in the bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/attachment.cgi?id=246)

My vote is YES, just in case somebody is wondering ;-)

Martin Senger escribió:

>Could anybody sent me the latest document we are voting on? (But do not
>sent me a link to bugzilla please).

Some comments about this latest version (the author's name and the date
the comment was sent to core developers included, plus the request and
the action taken and reflected in the 2.02 version). No major changes,
the proposal is still the same than 1 month ago with some rewordings and
typos corrected:

- Mark (29/09/2005) - Request for change the wording of Change 1 to "In
the case of an error, failure should raise an exception and an empty
mobyData block with the appropriate queryID will be returned" - INCLUDED

- Paul (17/10/2005) - Request to rename the proposal to something more
meaningful - DONE, now the proposal is called "Exception Reporting in
MOBY-S"

- Paul (17/10/2005) - Doubts about the error 701 - DONE, the ambiguous
example has been removed

- Paul (17/10/2005) - Errors 70* suggestions - DONE partially, added the
"error" 700 as a generic service intrinsic exception placeholder for any
generic situation where the execution was ok and we want to use
mobyException. Other codes not added, see next comment

- Martin (18/10/2005) - Type "information" in exception reporting - I
think it not hurts to leave it there. It could be used to report
informative (non erroneous or warning) exceptions about a specific
element (Simple or Collection) or mobyData entry in a structured
(parseable) way, because mobyException allows us to map the information
to that specific element. We still maintain the Notes in serviceNotes to
report general unstructured information, and for functional
compatibility with old moby versions

- Martin (18/10/2005) - Errors 70* suggestions - DONE partially, added
the "error" 700 (see above) and removed all the codes but 701
(SERVICE_INTERNAL_ERROR). As Martin suggests, created a 227
INPUT_INCORRECT_NAMESPACE

- Pieter (3/11/2005) - typos in the document - DONE, the tag is called
refQueryID, reviewed and changed

- Pieter (3/11/2005) - refArticlename - NOT INCLUDED. I know this can
open a new can of worms about whether rticlenames should be mandatory or
not, and we have talked about this in the past. The problem is not with
the exception reporting proposal, but with the MOBY specification
itself: if Articlenames are not mandatory, and I can send several
elements to the same type to my service, how can I differenciate them?
If there is no need to differenciate them, or that does not make sense
from the point of view of the service execution, then it makes no sense
from the point of view of the exception reporting. If I cannot identify
them individually, then I cannot report exceptions about them
individually and thus I have to say "There is a problem with one or more
or the inputs". If I can differenciate them because they have an
Articlename, then I use the refElement tag to refer to the problematic
element... Does this make sense?