[MOBY-dev] Re: [moby] Please sir, can I have some more RDF?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 05:58:09 UTC 2005

Mark,
   I am not bitching around... I am trying to make Biomoby clear. It was
always the major Biomoby problem: you have a good idea, but you are not so
good at presenting it clearly. So other people must take care about that
part. You have Frank to make your documentation more precise, and you have
me to make your API design better useable.
   During the last developer meeting, we had concluded that Biomoby is
good in its essence but it is badly presented, it is not a
"production-level" product, it does not have proper releases, etc. And
until this is done, I will continue to claim that "Biomoby is killing
itself by not being a real, "from-the-shelf" product.
   It is not that it cannot change (after all, it was always a research
project) but it should change in predicted or well defined intervals and
in a usual form. For example, you should not mix "the contents of RDF" and
"the way how to get this RDF". The way how to get it should be fixed and
relatively unchanged for longer, the contents itself may be labelled as
"not-yet-stable", so it can changed more often. But you do not support
this if you do not stick always with the API you yourself created.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)