[MOBY-dev] Re: [moby] Please sir, can I have some more RDF?

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Nov 4 05:37:30 UTC 2005

>Biomoby is killing itself

In no way is that true, since only a very few people care right now if
there is RDF in MOBY or not.

> by
>having so many ways, so many unofficial ways, and still none of them is
>working properly for years (yes, I am talking now about the RDF agent
>which is intrinsicaly connected with RDF...)

The RDF itself has been changing because it is a new standard, and
because it is important to get it right rather than ask people to change
it every few months.  The desire to adopt the same RDF representationas
myGrid is laudible (in my opinion), however the myGrid RDF has also been
changing, and still is.  We have just sent the myGrid folks a copy of
what we hope will be a mutually agreeable document.  If they sign-off on
it as well, then everything else is in place.

>   is an unofficial, never made official, hack.

I think Duncan got what he needed, through formal or informal means.

These (non-API) features of MOBY are documented in part on the new
website
(http://biomoby.open-bio.org/index.php/for-developers/moby_extensions/moby_metadata),
however the full documentation will take considerable time to write, so
it isn't complete.

Having multiple ways of obtaining information is a good thing, since it
gives people a lot of flexibility in how they build their code, so I
don't see this as a legitimate criticism.

>   As I said, tired from this stuff...

There are a wide variety of ways you can make the situation better, but
bitching about it isn't one of them.