[moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] a question and a comment about the new Objectinheritance

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri May 27 18:49:14 UTC 2005

I guess it would be type='null' or something like that.

I agree that this is the only case where Yan's proposal breaks.  We do,
actually, have quite a few Objects that inherit from Object without
going through a primitive, and therefore have no content at all and
should not be assumed to default to type="sting"

I don't think we can (nor should) require that our final solution
doesn't break anything.  It is more important to get it right in the 1.0
spec than to salvage legacy services.  As such, I'm not so concerned
about having a default state - if we are going to go this route, then I
think it should be a requirement to have a type='' attribute.

The other advantage of Yan's solution is that it is much more XML-like,
and we can use the XML type attributes exactly as they are!

I like that!!

How do the Java crowd feel about this?