[MOBY-dev] Re: how to get LSID of the registered service

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue May 17 15:50:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 16:39 +0100, Martin Senger wrote:

>    This seems quite a good and reasonable solution to me.

Super - any objections from others?

>    I know that you keep repeating this, and I keep repeating that it is an
> implementation detail :-) I truly believe that you are confusing us by
> talking about various ontologies without changing the Central API. As long
> as the API does not change we *do not see" any distributed ontologies - so
> for us, the mortals, there is no difference between "the biomoby central
> object ontology" and any distributed ontology. Is this true or am I still
> missing anything?

Well... there is the API, and then there is the reality.  There are
currently 3 MOBY Centrals (that I know about) that are interacting
*exclusively* with their local ontologies, despite the fact that this is
not officially supported by the API.  I grant you that this is "not our
problem"... but at the end of the day it IS our problem, since it shows
that the behaviour and desire of the community we are serving is to have
distributed ontologies.  As such, the faster I make the official API
compatible with what the user community is already doing, the faster we
will all be able to work together again :-)

>    That reminds me: is the LSID resolution service already running - or it
> is a work in progress?

It is running - metadata resolution only for Namespaces, Services,
Objects, and ServiceInstances.

>    This is a fantastic time plan!

I'm feeling ambitious ;-)

>    Could you perhaps add first the changes into the API document - and let
> us know - so we can change in advance also our libraries (in jMoby in my
> case)?

OK.  Unless I hear any objections over the next day or two I will work
on these code changes when I get back from California on Sunday...

...oh... oops!  Perhaps it will be delayed longer than that... I forgot
that my laptop was stolen last week, so I don't have a way to code from
home anymore :-/

(also, all of my notes from the working group session were stolen along
with it... if anyone has notes about what was decided can you post them
to the list?  thanks!)

Anyway, I will get the API updated and the code updated ASAP.