[moby] [MOBY-dev] Re: API Change/Recommendation/Best-Practice/Meme Proposal

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jul 13 15:50:33 UTC 2005

Mark,

    We are talking about decomposition. What you are talking about is
inheritence.  You can switch off finding services that match parent
objects, of course.  But an annotated base64 encoded GIF under the new
scheme would NEVER match something that takes String as input, no matter
how you set the service finding flag.  The CLIENT would need to
decompose (probably at the user's request) the GIF object into its
constituent String members, such as the "contents" or the "description",
and search MOBY central using JUST that member.  That's what we mean by
decomposition.