[MOBY-dev] jMoby compilation problems

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 21:27:06 UTC 2005

Dear Java developers,
   Today I found (with a great help and support from Eddie) that there are
classes in the current jMoby module that cannot be compiled. Which is -
according to my opinion - completely wrong. And stressfully frustrating.
   Please let me repeat that I believe that the rule number one for shared
Java development is that you commit code only when it compiles. It does
not need to run correctly - especially if you just started to develop it -
but it *must* compile - otherwise other developers are stuck and cannot do
anything.
   If your code cannot compile from serious reasons (for example you are
using Java 1.5, and we other have not yet commited to it), do not commit
your code, or create your own CVS branche.
   If you have any third-party libraries that you wish to be added, send
them to me, and I will put them into a central place where the jMoby Ant
take sthem from.

   As a summary, this is what you should always do before you commit:

   ./build-dev.sh clean compile

   And if you are using some new third-party classes in 'lib' (which you
should not, but let's assume that you just tested your new code with a new
library that you still may have in 'lib') do before committing this:

   ./build-dev.sh cleanall
   ./build.sh

   Thank for your attention. Eddie - as far as I know - is now trying to
clean the code of someone else. So if you think that it is your code that
does not compile, please hurry to help him. Thanks you.

   Cheers,
   martin

PS. Mark, could we have scheduled a short session about Java developing in
Vancouver - to discuss the similar things and rules that I mentioned
above. I know that Eddie is also working on documenting such principles,
so it would be good to have some time to present it, discuss and
hopefully accept it. Thanks. M.

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger