[MOBY-dev] moby grapgs updated

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 12:06:12 UTC 2004

As promised I am trying to find what is the problem with the Moby graphs.
At the moment I do not know yet the solution (it is the famous situation
that everything works fine on your laptop but stops to work when deployed
on the publicly available server) but I will find it.

Meanwhile, you can (always) create graphs - if you need them from the
command line (assuming that you have Java installed on your computer, and
you have a 'dot' program installed).  This is a short HOWTO (which I will
put later on the jMoby pages):

1) cd <your-moby-live-dir>/Java
3) cvs update -dP
3) ./build.sh

Now you should have everything prepared on your machine. For the graphs
try the following:

4) build/run/run-graphs-client -help
or (without reading help):

4) build/run/run-graphs-client -s -datapath GO/Object AminoAcidSequence \
                               -f result.dot
5) dot -Tpng result.dot > result.png

You will almost certainly try several times - therefore it's worth to
cache results from the Moby Central locally. Do it by adding -cachedir
parameter (the first time it will fill this directory, next time it will
reuse it):

4) build/run/run-graphs-client -s -datapath GO/Object AminoAcidSequence \
                               -f result.dot -cachedir /tmp/mycache

Finally if you want to see also scufl definitions try this:

4) build/run/run-graphs-client -s -datapath GO/Object AminoAcidSequence \
                               -f result.dot -cachedir /tmp/mycache \
                               -scufl

   I will let you know when I solve the problem with my server - so you
will be able to get graphs in a more convenient way (but the way described
above should work always, disregarding our server down etc. so it is
perhaps worth to know about it I guess).

   Regards,

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger