[MOBY-dev] S-MOBY Install on OS X

Simon Twigger simont at mcw.edu
Tue Jul 13 17:29:49 UTC 2004

(I posted this from a different email a/c and the post got held up
pending review so I thought I'd repost from my normal account -
apologies if you end up getting this twice)

I managed to get the S-MOBY reference implementation up and running on
my PowerBook this morning. It wasn't completely plain sailing though
the install docs are great.

Notes from the OS X Install:

Tested using Tomcat 5.0.25, Ant 1.6.1, Java 1.4.2 on Mac OSX 10.3.4

When Editing /etc/hosts:
/etc/hosts on 10.3.4 claims that it is not used in the hostname lookup
process except for single-user mode. Apparently this is incorrect (at
least with the current versions) so this file can be modified as
detailed for unix/linux.

You may also need to modify the lookup order for the lookupd so it
checks the flat file /etc/hosts first, before using DNS, etc. Otherwise
trying to find www.s-moby.org:8080 ends up searching DNS rather than
using localhost. I followed the advice on the web page listed below,
modifying to search the Flat File first rather than DNS which is how it
is described in the article. I found this was necessary as once I had
everything installed and restarted Tomcat5, localhost:8080 wasnt
working as expected and was pointing to some site at MIT (!)

sudo mkdir /etc/lookupd
sudo echo LookupOrder FF Cache NI DNS DS  > /etc/lookupd/hosts
sudo kill -1 `cat /var/run/lookupd.pid`

See www.aplawrence.com/MacOSX/macosxlookupd.html for more information.

Running the Ant Build:
In the ant build process, you might need to add appropriate entries in
~/.cvspass if it fails when trying to access CVS servers. Presumably
this will only happen if you havent had reason to do any previous anon
checkouts from these cvs repositories.

:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic A
:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/jena A

Other than these noted issues, the build ran fine and so far seems to
work as advertised though I havent really tried to do much yet. Im
trying to get some experience with Jena and how it works with OWL, etc.
and having a working application that uses this will be very handy.

Gary/Damian: I can add these notes to the S-MOBY/ref-impl/INSTALL.html
file and commit to the CVS repository if you would like, or I can leave
it to you to add in as appropriate.

Simon.

--

Simon N. Twigger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology